I have become increasingly interested in how we make sure that the game experience is the best and at the same time ensuring diversity, inclusivity and good behaviour.
I hope to write much more on this soon, but in the meantime I thought this might be a good place to share the new Stone Paper Scissors commitment and ground rules for behaviour at games we organise and run.
Documents like this are not cast in tablets of stone, but act as a baseline – becomeing refined and, if necessary, expanded as circucumstances change or as a result of experience. We also aim to keep the ground rules as simple and clear as possible.
What guidelines like this must not become, in my view, is a sterile policy document created for the sake of form. It must (and in this case does) actively reflect day to day practice and be a realistic reflection of what we actually do.
STONE PAPER SCISSORS GROUND RULES
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM SPS
- to have a professionally facilitated and managed game experience.
- to make your own choices within the game and its rules
- to be listened to both in and out of games.
- a safe friendly environment free of physical, verbal, and emotional harassment.
- to not be subjected to aggressive, argumentative, racist, sexist, transphobic and homophobic behaviour or language.
- to have your property left alone.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM PARTICIPANTS
- to participate as fully as they can.
- to participate within the framework of the game provided.
- to listen to other participants both in and out of games.
- to contribute to a safe friendly environment free of physical, verbal, and emotional harassment.
- to not be aggressive, argumentative, racist, sexist, transphobic or homophobic in behaviour or language.
- to respect other participants’ property.
In order to keep our events safe and successful, attendees are expected to respect the ground rules. When you attend, you hereby agree to respect the rules above. Participants who are unable to meet the expectations above (especially with regard to behaviour) may be asked to leave without refund.